Friday, March 18, 2022

How to Create a PivotTable from Groups of Rows in Excel

 I'm going to post something a little different today.  I came across a challenge at work a few days ago that got me thinking about Excel.

So say you have a bunch of data that looks like this:


How would you organize this data so that rather than looking at 30+ lines of data, you only have to look at 4 lines to determine how many hours each division worked at each job?  If you try to create a pivot table from this data, you get this:


Well, that doesn't help.  We have how many hours each division worked, but the jobs are completely separate.  So how do we organize this by groups rather than by row/column?  It looks like the solution lies in some sort of if/and/vlookup function/formula.  But I don't have much time today, I'll look into this more later.  If you have an idea of how to solve this, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment