Wednesday, March 16, 2022

WHOA HEY I'M BACK AGAIN

Hi. Long time to talk. I'm back from the dead to talk about the Steam Deck.
This thing looks supes cool, but even though I reserved mine within two hours of pre-orders becoming available, I won't be getting mine til Q3 of this year :( I've been doing a lot of research on the Deck and I have one question that I've yet to find an answer to: Can it run a virtual machine? Obviously there aren't any virtual machine apps within Steam, but what about Desktop mode?

It's just Linux, right? There are virtual machines on Linux. I know there are a lot of Windows Games that the Steam Deck can't currently run, but what if some older games were playable inside of a virtual machine on the Deck? It could open a new world of possibilities. If anyone's still here, let me know your thoughts or if this is even possible. I'm getting excited thinking about it.

Quick update: From what I've read, it looks like it should be possible, but it wouldn't be able to access the GPU.  That shouldn't be too much of a problem for older games that don't use many resources, right?  I just want a portable retro pc in the palm of my hands (not a laptop).  I have the original GPD Win but it's so slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment